Help Center

How to become a new tenant at Schilling

Schilling Hagen Wohnen
What documents do I need to submit to apply for an apartment?

Depending on whether you are a professional or a pensioner, etc., we need different documents from you.

Checklist of what documents you need to submit.
(list appears as a new window).

This is how it works

You can easily find our free apartments on our website. Under the link “Search apartment” you will find our offers.

Once you have found an apartment, simply fill out the housing application/self-disclosure form, sign it and send it to us with the other requested documents using the upload function.
Click here for the application form.

TIP: The Schilling Express Bonus
If you apply for an apartment and bring your complete documents with you, or send us your complete documents in advance via e-mail, you will receive a one-time Rent credit in the amount of € 30,- and a preferred, faster processing.

Damages & Repairs

Schilling Hagen Wohnen
How can I report a damage?

Please fill out our damage form.
Click here to access the damage form.

Home insurance purchased?

Please remember to take out homeowner’s insurance for your apartment as agreed in the rental agreement.

Operating costs

Schilling Hagen Wohnen
How do we calculate the heating and operating costs?

Heating costs:
In accordance with the heating costs ordinance, the basic and consumption costs are calculated for heating and hot water. Regardless of whether you are at home or using the heater or not, the basic costs are always charged. The consumption costs are calculated according to your actual use of heating and hot water.

Operating costs:
The operating costs are based on the size of your apartment in relation to the entire house.


How are your utility costs broken down?

Heating costs:

The heating costs are settled within one year after the end of the billing period. These are passed on to the tenants without any surcharge . Heating costs include not only those for oil and gas, but additionally the following:

Cost of consumed fuels and their delivery
= heating oil, gas.

costs of operating electricity
= energy costs according to the supplier, etc.

Costs of operation, monitoring and maintenance of the equipment, regular inspection of its operational readiness and operational safety, including adjustment by a specialist
= maintenance / heating company / chimney sweep, etc.

Costs of cleaning the equipment and the operating room
= janitor /cleaning company /heating company, etc.

Costs of measurement according to the Federal Immission Act
= exhaust emission test, etc.

Cost of renting or otherwise providing the use of consumption metering equipment, including the costs of calculation and allocation
= Radiator evaporator/radiator tubes/radiator heat meters, etc.

How are the heating costs offset against the advance payments?

First, the costs incurred are offset against the advance payments.
If you have paid too much, you will receive a credit note on the next rental statement.
If you have paid too little, the difference will be charged to your next rent payment.

Extra costs:

The additional costs will be settled within one year after the end of the billing period. Ancillary costs are without any surcharge passed on to the tenants. The recoverable costs are detailed below:

= Fees for the use of a public drainage system

= Costs for operating current, for supervision, for operation, monitoring, care, cleaning and the regular inspection of operational safety and operational readiness (including TÜV).

General electricity costs
= for outdoor lighting, staircase, common areas

Garden maintenance
= material and personnel costs, which may arise from the maintenance, renewal of plants and the maintenance of playgrounds

Property tax
= the property tax is levied by the municipality and usually refers to the type, condition and location of the property

House cleaning
= costs for cleaning e.g. stairwell, cellar and other common areas

= Costs for the janitor

Precipitation water
= costs for precipitation water disposal

Pest control
= costs for the control of pests

Other operating costs
=> link to the “Verordnung über die Aufstellung von Betriebskosten BetrKV” (ordinance on the statement of operating costs BetrKV)

Chimney cleaning:
= Chimney sweep costs (sweeping fees), immission measurement costs

Street cleaning/garbage collection
= Costs which are charged by the city

= building insurance (fire/storm/water damage insurance), glass insurance, liability insurance for the property, oil tank and elevator insurance

Washing facilities
= costs for electricity, cleaning and maintenance of communal washing machines

= costs of water, water meters, water treatment plant

Winter service
= Costs for snow removal and gritting services

How are the ancillary costs offset against the advance payments?
First, the costs incurred are offset against the advance payments.
If you have paid too much, you will receive a credit note on the next rental statement.
If you have paid too little, the difference will be charged to your next rent payment.


When does an additional payment occur?

We calculate the heating and operating costs according to the respective consumption. Depending on whether your advance payments were sufficient, we will correct the values up or down so that you always pay the most accurate amount possible. In this way we prevent costs from accumulating resulting in high additional payments.

Please note that unforeseen price increases may occur. The suppliers are responsible for this. We respond to changes in the best possible way and keep you up to date.

If you foresee your consumption pattern changing drastically, e.g. due to a new family member or a family member moving out, you can contact us in order to have an adjustment made.

I have a credit balance and yet my prepayments were increased
Depending on the changes in costs we anticipate in future billing periods, we may have to increase your upfront payments. In this way, we respond to the market and avoid higher additional payments after a billing year.
How long do I have to pay the heating and operating costs if I move out at the beginning of a month?
Your tenancy always lasts until the end of the month, so you also pay the basic costs for the entire month. If you move out before the end of the month, consumption will of course only take place until the day you move out and therefore only the consumption costs incurred up to that point will be charged.
How does the reading of the radiator meters work?

All apartments are equipped with radio heat cost allocators. It is not necessary for the meter reading company to enter your apartment.

Will I be charged for the elevator even though I live on the ground floor?
In accordance with a decision by the Federal Court of Justice in 2006, it was confirmed that the costs of an elevator are also apportioned to all residents of the building in question. Not every tenant uses all the facilities of a house (garden, basement, common areas) equally, so all costs are distributed fairly.
How long do I have to wait for my final utility bill after I move out?
The settlement period is one year in accordance with § 556 BGB. So we will send you your operating cost statement in a period of up to 12 months time. 

Rent & Deposit

Schilling Hagen Wohnen
Where can I get the rental certificate?
After the conclusion of the rental agreement, you will receive your rental certificate from us with all the necessary details, such as living space, operating costs and other agreements.
What components does my rent consist of?
Your rent consists of the so-called “cold rent” and the ancillary costs, such as waste disposal fees and janitor costs, etc. We will list this for you in your rent certificate.
What is a SEPA direct debit mandate and how can I order it?

With a SEPA direct debit mandate, you give us permission to automatically debit your monthly rent from your account. This is very convenient for you, because we do the work for you.

You can initiate this process by filling out the form we have prepared for you, signing it and submitting it to us.

Download our SEPA direct debit form here.

Please simply fill out the PDF on your computer, print it out and sign it. Then send it to us by e-mail to

I receive public assistance. What should I do once I receive my service charge statement?
You must present the service charge statement to your responsible local  office.
Additional claim from the service charge settlement
We will always provide you with a detailed statement of any additional claims arising from the service charge settlement.   You can conveniently transfer the outstanding amount.
When will the deposit be refunded?

When the apartment is handed over and after the condition has been checked. You will usually receive your deposit back to your account within 6 months.

To whom is the deposit returned?
The deposit will be paid back to the paying party. If you did not pay the deposit but e.g. an office did, it will also be paid back to the respective office.
Reasons for a rent increase

A rent increase can have legal, structural or other reasons. We inform you in a transparent way, handling the process for you.

I receive a termination without notice. What do I have to do?

Get in touch with us. We can discuss the reasons and clear up any misunderstandings.

Call us or use our contact form.

Under what circumstances can I be threatened with termination without notice or extraordinary termination?
  • If you are more than one month’s rent in arrears for two consecutive dates (months).
  • If you are in arrears with two months’ rent for an extended period.
  • If you constantly pay the rent unpunctually.
  • If you, as a tenant, persistently disturb the peace of the house or cause other culpable breaches of duty.
  • If you sublet the apartment without permission.
  • If you completely neglect the apartment.
  • If you use the apartment contrary to the terms of the contract.
  • If you over-occupy the apartment.

    Rental Agreement Amendments

    Schilling Hagen Wohnen
    Do I need a permit if I want to make structural changes to my apartment?

    Yes. Remodeling measures that fundamentally change the apartment, such as the installation of a new wall, must be applied for and approved by us.

    For an inquiry please use our contact form.

    Smaller changes, such as design changes (e.g. colors) don’t require prior approval. As a general rule, the apartment must be restored to its original condition when you move out.

    Which pets require a permit?

    Small animals, such as hamsters, fish or birds, do not require a permit. If you wish to keep a dog or cat, this requires approval from us.

    Approval is given based on the absence of noise, odor or other nuisances to other neighbors as a result of keeping pets. If this happens to be the case after all, then the landlord can insist on the removal of the pet and revoke the initial approval.

    Click here for the Application form for keeping a dog or cat.

    I am part of a rental community and would like to move out. What do I need to consider?

    You may be released from a lease as one of the parties to the lease if the other parties agree in writing to move out. The remaining contractors will receive a new contract if it is guaranteed that the rent will continue to be paid properly.


    Schilling Hagen Wohnen
    What is modernization?

    Modernization serves to improve the quality of the buildings and apartments. This includes work on the heating, electricity and water supply systems, which ensures that the respective consumptions are optimized and thus means savings for you. Work on facades, walls and roofs improve thermal insulation and thus also serve to save money. So you as a tenant will benefit from modernization work in any case.

    Repairs are part of the maintenance and repair measures.

    What does the term modernization costs mean?

    Modernization costs describe the expenses incurred for construction measures that improve the quality of the house or apartment and ensure that energy and water are saved.

    What does the term maintenance costs mean?

    Maintenance includes inspections, maintenance and repairs. These costs serve to maintain the value and are borne by the landlord.

    What does the term repair costs mean?

    Repair includes fixing damage and defects in the house or in the apartments. These can be caused by wear and tear, age or external influences. These costs serve to maintain the value and are borne by the landlord.

    Accepting repairs and modernizations

    As a tenant, you must accept these measures in principle, because they serve to maintain the value and increase the efficiency of the residential properties.

    Exceptions are special cases of hardship. We will always inform you about planned construction measures in time and you can contact us then.

    Announcement of construction measures

    We will notify you three days in advance if any repair work needs to be done. In the event of an acute emergency, such as a power outage, we will respond immediately and may not be able to give you advance notice.

    We will inform you about modernization measures three months before the start of the work. You will find out exactly what will be done, how long it will take and if there are any costs involved.


    I would like to terminate my rental agreement. How do I do that and what deadlines do I have to observe?

    Unless otherwise agreed in writing, the statutory notice period of 3 months applies. The notice of termination must be received by us in writing (§568 BGB) by the third working day of a month. Unfortunately, termination by fax or e-mail cannot be accepted. We require an original signature.
    Under special circumstances, such as the death of a tenant, please contact us.
    If a guardian relationship exists, the termination will also be accepted by an authorized representative.

    Please send your notice of termination with your complete contact information in writing to the following address:

    Wilhelm Schilling GmbH & Co KG -Hausverwaltung-
    Elberfelder Straße 46
    58095 Hagen


    What is the procedure after I terminate my rental agreement?

    We will send you a confirmation and arrange an appointment with you for the preliminary inspection of the apartment.

    What happens during the pre-acceptance?

    One of our employees will view your apartment, basement and ancillary rooms that you use together with you and draw up a protocol. This will state whether you still need to paint the walls, for example, or whether any changes you have made to the apartments will be restored to their original condition must.

    You then have time until the final inspection and handover to carry out the work recorded in the log.

    How does the final inspection/key handover work?

    During the jointly scheduled final inspection of your apartment and the basement and ancillary rooms you use, one of our employees will check whether all painting and dismantling work has been carried out properly. Please note that we commission a company that professionally carries out this work checking for incomplete or defective work. You must bear the costs for this.

    After the final inspection, the keys will be handed over.

    Please also consider reading the electricity/water meters with the meter readings from the day the keys are handed over.

    What happens if I have not handed over the apartment in proper condition?

    If you have not properly renovated your apartment including the cellar and ancillary rooms you are using when you move out, you will have to pay for the resulting costs. This also includes unrepaired damage to the rental property or damage that occurred when you moved out (e.g. doors, floors, staircase). If you have bulky waste, you must ensure that it is disposed before you move out.

    How does the termination of a garage, parking space or garden work?

    If one of these rental items is not part of your rental contract for your apartment, you must submit a separate notice of termination to us.

    Please send your termination with your complete contact details in writing to the following address:

    Wilhelm Schilling GmbH & Co KG -Hausverwaltung-
    Elberfelder Straße 46
    58095 Hagen

    Can I cancel a submitted termination?

    In this case, please contact us immediately. If the apartment in question has not yet been rented out and there are no other reasons not to do so, it is possible to cancel the termination or continue the tenancy.

    Can I be released early from an existing rental agreement?

    In principle, the statutory periods of notice apply. However, please get in touch with us. If a suitable new tenant can be found on the date you want to move out, early termination is possible.

    Link to contact form

    Can my subtenant stay in the apartment?

    No. No. Your subtenant must also have moved out at the time of the final inspection. The apartment has to be handed over empty. If your subtenant wants to keep the apartment, he must apply for it.

    What do I need to consider if I am the heir of a tenant who has passed away?

    As the heir, you assume all obligations arising from the tenancy. You are therefore our new contractual partner. If you want to keep the apartment, we will amend the rental agreement for you. If you want to terminate the apartment, please comply with the statutory deadlines and submit a written notice of termination to us. If we write to you as a relative of the deceased tenant, but you renounce the inheritance, please submit the certificate of inheritance from the local court to us.

    When will I get the deposit back?

    We will refund your deposit if there are no arrears or open claims after you have moved out.

    How do I cancel my electricity contract?

    We take care of the registration and deregistration with your energy supplier for you. You don’t need to take care of anything.

    Tips & Info

    Schilling Hagen Wohnen
    This is how the monthly housing costs are divided

    The total costs for your apartment are made up of the cold rent and the additional costs.
    The additional costs are made up of

    • Your personal consumption costs
      • Electricity
      • Heating
      • Water (hot, fresh and waste water)
      • Waste These costs you can influence directly by using resources sparingly.
    • and the general consumption and operating costs
      • Property tax
      • Janitor
      • Chimney sweep
      • Electricity for staircase, outdoor lighting, common rooms and cellar
      • House cleaning
      • Garden maintenance
      • Rainwater disposal
      • Street cleaning
      • Insurances. You cannot influence these costs.

    => Link to the “Ordinance on the establishment of operating costs BetrKV”.

    Save electricity effectively

    There are a lot of ways for you to actively save electricity.

    • When buying new electrical appliances, also pay attention to their power consumption. Possibly only slightly more expensive devices with a lower power consumption pay off over time. Consider that household appliances or televisions last ten years or more. In this way, more expensive devices can be refinanced over a long period of time.
    • Using energy-saving, modern LED lights throughout the home means lower electricity costs in the long term.
    • Lights with motion detectors, e.g. in the hallway, ensure that the lights are only on when needed.
    • Using a kettle is more effective than heating water in a pot.
    • Use the residual heat from the stove and oven when cooking and baking. For cooking processes, you can already turn off the appliances and let the residual heat work for the last few minutes.
    • Turn off devices that are in standby mode completely. Especially when you go on vacation or are away from home for a long time.
    • Try out an electricity meter. This is inserted between the socket and the device and shows you exactly how much is being consumed. This way you can compare and try out which devices are most energy efficient.
    • Compare your electric bills and learn from your behavior.


    Proper heating and ventilation

    This is the best way for you:

    The feel-good factor is significantly influenced by temperature, air humidity content and correct ventilation behavior. Here are a few tips on how to positively influence your living environment and save money at the same time.

    How to ventilate properly!

    • Ventilate in the morning and in the evening for 5 to 15 minutes each time by means of shock ventilation (i.e. open all windows completely and ensure draught).
    • If you have your windows permanently open in the “tilt” position, this increases your heating costs enormously, because rooms and walls cool down.
    • The cooler your premises are, the more frequently they should be ventilated (cold air has a higher moisture content than warmer air).
    • The cooler the outside temperatures, the shorter the ventilation time.
    • For bathrooms without windows, ventilate into the nearest room after showering and close the doors to the other rooms.
    • Do not place large cabinets directly against the wall. Keep a distance of about 5 cm.

    The above tips, are a prerequisite for a healthy & comfortable living. Incorrect ventilation can lead to mold growth, which in extreme cases can lead to a wide variety of illnesses such as asthma, allergies, etc.

    How to heat correctly:

    • In the cooler months during the spring and fall seasons, we recommend an average temperature of 19° C to 21° C with a humidity of 40 to 60% in the premises. We recommend that bedrooms be kept at a temperature no cooler than 14° C.
    • Do not heat one room by the other room – that is, if you have cooled rooms (e.g. bedrooms) in your apartment, it is best to keep the door closed. The warmer rooms also heat the cool rooms.
    • Unless you are absent during the day, you should never turn off the heating completely. Choose a lower average temperature. Completely cooled rooms require a greatly increased amount of energy and that costs money.

    If you would like more information, please request our more detailed brochure.

    6 tips to save heating costs

    This is how you optimize the temperatures in your home.

    Many apartments are too warm. 18 degrees Celsius is healthy. Each degree higher corresponds to a cost increase of 6% (per radiator or room & per 1 degree Celsius).

    The following guide values are sufficient:

    • 22 degrees Celsius inside the bathroom
    • 20 degrees Celsius inside the living room
    • 18 degrees Celsius inside the kitchen
    • 15 degrees Celsius inside the hallway

    Avoid letting the apartment cool down.

    Never turn off the heating completely in the winter, because reheating requires much more energy and therefore higher costs. When you are absent, it is sufficient to lower the temperature in all rooms to 16 degrees Celsius. In case of prolonged absence (several days, travel, etc.), it is sufficient to lower the temperature in all rooms to 12 degrees Celsius.

    Keep the walls clear.

    Keep a minimum distance of 5 cm between the wall and your furniture. This allows the air to circulate better and can save up to 10% on heating costs.

    Keep the radiators clear.

    Sofas, wardrobes, curtains and the like increase energy consumption. Keeping the radiators clear of the above items can result in heating cost savings of up to 20%.

    Ventilate the radiators regularly.

    Air in the radiators prevents the development of heat. This means that you turn up the heating and it does not get really warm despite energy consumption.

    Ventilate exclusively in shock ventilation intervals.

    Ventilate several times a day with the window wide open. Ensure that there is a “draught”. Three minutes is sufficient in winter and 15 minutes in summer.

    What can I do to reduce garbage costs?

    One item on the utility bill is the garbage charge. You can also influence these costs and thus keep them low.

    It’s not that complicated!

    All you have to do is separate the waste. There is the black residual waste garbage can, there are yellow bags/bins, paper and glass can also be disposed of separately.

    In the black residual waste garbage can belong:
    Basically everything that cannot be disposed of in the yellow bag/bin, in glass containers, in waste paper containers or in other recycling containers.

    Ashes, ladies’ stockings, light bulbs, rubber, sweepings, candle remains, carbon and blue paper, ballpoint pens, cleaning buckets, plastics such as video cassettes, leather, porcelain, ceramics (small quantities), vacuum cleaner bags, plastic buckets (without “green dot”), toys (defective), styrofoam (dirty & small quantities), wallpaper residues (small quantities), carpet residues (small quantities), hot water bottles, cigarette butts, toothbrushes

    In the yellow bag/bin belong:
    all items that have the green dot printed on them.

    we can minimize waste costs as best as possible if you separate into paper, glass, yellow bag/bin and residual waste. Large packaging, such as that of a television, can be left directly with the store where you purchased it.

    For more information, visit:

    How do I dispose of larger items, such as furniture or technical equipment?

    Things that cannot be disposed of in household waste must be disposed of by bulky waste. The Hagener disposal company (HEB) takes care of the collection of bulky waste. You have to apply for this separately.

    Here we have for you the link to all information of HEB.

    Avoid rent arrears


    Please keep in mind: If you are more than one month’s rent in arrears or if you continue to pay your rent late, your landlord can terminate your contract without notice. So that it doesn’t come to that:

    • Make sure you pay your rent on time by the 3rd working day of the month. In order to avoid unpleasant situations, it is very important that you pay your rent in full and regularly.
    • If you have any issues, get in touch with your landlord. Explain your situation to him and try to arrange a deferral or payment in instalments. If you have not paid or not fully paid two consecutive monthly rents, your landlord can terminate the apartment without notice.
    • Contact your social welfare office if you have reason to fear that your landlord will give you a notice of termination or if you have already been given notice. Don’t be afraid of seeking help, such an unfortunate situation can happen to anyone. Before you lose your home and that of your family. Get help from the social welfare office. If your income is not sufficient to pay the rent arrears, you can apply to the social welfare office to have your rent debts taken over. If you are in an urgent situation like this for the first time, threatened with becoming homeless, the social welfare office must grant you a loan or an allowance. If the social welfare office rejects your application, you should seek advice from a lawyer.
    • Use public counseling services such as debt counseling. Advice there is free of charge and, of course, the employees of the help centers are bound to absolute confidentiality. Although you won’t get any money from the debt counseling centers to pay off the debt burden, the advisers can help how to best behave in this seemingly hopeless situation, helping you to reduce the mountain of debt to a manageable level.
    • Don’t risk losing your “roof over your head.” Remember: You can’t “sit out” the problem of not being able to pay your rent. The additional costs for a lawyer and the court increase the problem to the point of losing your home. And that benefits neither you nor your landlord. Because: Rent debts are not a trivial issue.
    • Organize your finances. Get an overview of your income and expenses and keep a budget or budget book. Often you live beyond your means and only find out when it’s too late. Consider whether certain expenses are absolutely necessary or where they can be reduced. You’ll notice, even if the money is barely enough, you’ll feel better with your finances in order.

    You are not alone! The discussion forum at offers an exchange between experts and those affected with debt burdens. In addition to the forum, you will also find a chat, which is intended for the direct exchange of users among themselves.

    Loss of Home:
    If you are in a difficult financial situation and you may no longer be able to pay your rent, do everything you can to avoid losing your home. Talk to your landlord or contact independent advice centers.

    If the apartment was terminated without notice because you had not paid your rent for a long period of time, the landlord can file for an eviction with the court. Ultimately, the bailiff will contact you and force you to vacate your apartment. Contact your social welfare office as soon as possible.

    Should it come to that – there is no shame in being in need. In large cities in particular there is a network of emergency and temporary shelters as well as day-care centers for basic material needs and medical and nursing outpatient clinics for medical care. Counseling centers support those affected in their search for housing and work and offer advice on debt settlement. If possible, though, don’t let it get that far in the first place!

    Rental debts are not a hopeless situation!

    Your landlord:
    First of all, talk to us about your situation and we will find a solution together.

    Your social welfare office:
    In addition, we recommend that you contact your social welfare office. You can find the address and phone number in your local phone book.

    Debt advice centers:
    Debt counseling services provided by local authorities, independent welfare organizations, consumer organizations or non-profit associations help with debt settlements. You will find a collection of links to all debt counseling centers in Germany on the Internet at you will find a collection of links to all debt counseling centers in Germany.

    Internet, TV and telephone

    Schilling Hagen Wohnen
    Internet, TV and telephone connection

    All of our apartments are equipped with television reception options. It is not necessary to install your own satellite dish, as you can receive a large number of national and international channels in all Schilling houses.

    There is also a telephone connection in each apartment. You can sign a contract for telephone and internet/pay TV with a provider of your choice (e.g. Netflix, Amazon Prime etc.).

    If you have any questions on this topic, please do not hesitate to contact us.

    Liveing together

    Schilling Hagen Wohnen
    What are house rules?

    House rules list all the points that need to be observed for communal living under one roof. It contains your rights and obligations. This includes quiet times, cleaning of stairs and hallways, use of ancillary and common rooms as well as information on waste disposal and winter services.

    You can find the complete house rules here.

    Consequence of a violation of the house rules

    In the event of a violation of the house rules, we are entitled to issue a warning. A violation can be e.g. a repeated disturbance of the peace by playing music that is too loud. The warning serves as a deterrent and at the same time as a request to respect and comply with the rules of living together.

    What are the quiet times?

    Basically, we ask our tenants to be considerate of their neighbours. Radio and TV sets, or music instruments should therefore always be chosen in such a way that you do not disturb your neighbours.

    Basically, these are the times that apply:

    • 8 a.m. – 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. – 10 p.m. for playing music
    • It is not permitted to play music between 10 p.m. and 8 a.m. and between 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. Radio, television and other phono devices are to be set to room volume. Handicraft activities during the aforementioned periods are also not permitted.
    • Mon – Fri 8 a.m. – 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. – 6 p.m. and Sat 8 a.m. – 12 p.m. for work that makes noise (sawing, drilling, hammering)
    • The use of showers and bathtubs should be avoided between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m. due to the noise.


    I would like to keep a pet - how is it possible?

    Generally, keeping pets is not allowed. We reserve the right to consent. It is forbidden in particular for so-called fighting dogs. However, you can keep small animals such as ornamental fish, hamsters and budgies. All other animals require our express consent. Please contact us, we will find a solution together!

    Click here for the application form to keep a pet.


    Please act

    For you as a tenant, two insurance policies are essential so that you are not faced with major damage at some point and there is no way out for you – we strongly advise you to take out the following insurance policies listed below. If you do not have insurance cover, we inform you that no one will pay for the damage incurred. Please consider the high financial burden that this can mean for you. A small tealight or a burning cigarette has is able to cause a damage in six figures – this can happen faster than you think…


    Private liability insurance

    Private liability insurance is for damage to persons, property and assets (as a result of personal injury and property damage caused to others by the policyholder or the co-insured person(s). Everyday risks to which one is exposed as a private individual are covered by private liability insurance.
    By law, you are obligated to unlimited liability, for life if necessary. To avoid being faced with financial ruin due to damage, you should have private liability insurance. The costs for such an insurance start at EUR 60.00 per year, depending on the scope of insurance.

    Home insurance

    Home insurance protects your household items against damage caused by fire, water damage and theft. In the event of an insured loss, you will receive financial compensation from the insurance company for your furnishings (e.g. furniture), items of daily use (e.g. crockery, washing machine, clothing), consumables (e.g. food) and your valuables. If you do not have insurance, it can happen that you suddenly have nothing as you e.g. forgot to blow out candles. Protect yourself! Protect yourself! Depending on the scope, the costs for home insurance start at EUR 60.00 per year for a 50 m² apartment.

    Emergency service

    Fire department: 112 – Police: 110

    Do you have a technical problem in your apartment?
    Please contact your janitor in charge at:

    Janitor Herwig: 0160 – 156 01 96

    Janitor Terzimustafic: 0177 – 31 99 069 (Kampstraße only)

    Janitor Hermann: 0172 – 60 07 920 (Berlin only)